Ann Uhry Abrams
The New Book is Out!
Formula for Fortune:
How Asa Candler Discovered Coca-Cola and Turned It into the Wealth His Children Enjoyed
Everyone knows Coca-Cola.
But do you know how Coca-Cola came into the world?
- The secret formula was discovered by Asa Candler, a country boy born before the Civil War.
- The formula originally contained cocaine.
- Candler transformed a patent medicine into a money-making bonanza.
- He became a millionaire in ten years.
Or how Candler changed the face of Atlanta?
- He was the city's mayor during World War I.
- He helped put out the city's worst fire.
- He founded Emory University in 1914.
- He built some of the city's greatest architectural treasures.
- He developed and owned most of the Druid Hills subdivision
Or that he had several personal shortcomings?
He forbade his wife and daughter from drinking too much Coca-Cola.
He often talked too much and caused problems for his own company.
So his brother kept him from attending aspectacular trial in 1911 when Coca-Cola was sued by the US government.
He made the headlines because of a late-life love affair.
Or that he had a whacky, wonderful, and sometimes heartbreakingly tragic family?
- His son-in-law was brutally and mysteriously murdered.
One son started the airport that is now the nation's largest.
That same son had a private zoo on his estate.
Another son had a racetrack on his property.
Another built Callanwolde, a city treasure.
Another owned the Biltmore Hotel.
Learn about all this in Formula for Fortune